High quality home improvement is a way to add value, space and comfort to your home. Every Kbsa member will provide you with information and advice that lets you make all the right decisions about your particular project.
But here are the top ten tips about finding a retailer before you start your home project:
- Before you decide on a retailer make sure they have a showroom where you can inspect the quality of the product and installation.
- Make sure they have a good track record of installations, check out their previous work and ask to see images and examples - a reputable retailer should be able to provide all of this. Even ask the retailer whether you can visit previous customers in your area.
- Make sure retailers are aware of the Building Regulations including gas safe requirements for your project.
- If they don't insist on a site survey before quoting, walk away there and then.
- Check that the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom or home office designer is indeed a designer, employed by a company with a local showroom.
- All good retailers will ask for a deposit.
- Before any money changes hands, get a copy of a written estimate that details every aspect of the job - it will save you a lot of hassle should the unthinkable happen and things start to go wrong.
- The retailer should visit your home, carry out a survey of the site and discuss all the relevant details about what you need and desire in your project.
- They will return to the showroom where their designer will produce a set of design plans - once the designs are finished the retailer should contact you to go through them with you, and according to your needs, refine the design.
- Finally, never sign anything unless you have read it through fully and you're prepared to honour your side of the contract.